|The final product, this dum-dum lollipop topiary tree stands 22 inches tall. It's rather top heavy because it has almost 3 pounds of suckers on top.|
You can use whatever you want, it will probably turn out just fine, but here's what I used if you're curious:
- Clay flower pot (4 1/2 inch diameter)
- Green foam block (the kind used for fake flower arrangements)
- Green Easter grass
- Wooden rod (1/2 inch diameter) 16 inches long (or however tall you want it)
- Double sided ribbon
- Green foam sphere (Hobby Lobby flower arranging section)
- 3 lbs of Dum-Dums (3x 1 lb bags = approximately 70 per bag or around 210 suckers)
- Hot glue gun (to hold the wooden rod tight, not to glue the suckers in)
Quick suggestion, get way more suckers than you think you'll need! The surface area of the sphere is deceptive, and I had to run out to buy more suckers. Get a huge bag just in case.
Okay here is what I did...
|I cut the sides off the green foam block and shoved it down into the flower pot, then I cut a little more out so it didn't stick over the top.|
|Gathered up more of my supplies, including the foam ball, suckers, Easter grass, and nice double sided ribbon|
Any questions? Like I said, I'm not a huge craft guy, but you can leave a comment and I'll answer. I've got to drive this in to work for a work party, and I'm going to bring a bunch of extra suckers in case these fall out. The suckers aren't actually glued in they're just stuck in place.